05: All Forums
06: Home
07: Home
08: All Forums
09: All Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content preview
Each user can view the site with a different theme.
Themes marked with a * also change the forum look.

All Forums > WHATS ON YOUR MIND > SPORTS SHIT > suggestion for future contest payouts. give your thoughts
suggestion for future contest payouts. give your thoughts
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index > SPORTS SHIT
johnny
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: suggestion for future contest payouts. give your thoughts

this is just a suggestion but to me it would make the contest have a bit more encouragement to keep playing and hoping to get wins .... also might get more people want to play...

its sorda like how the pros do golf payouts.. each stroke against them costs them...

with the example im giving it would pay you back half of your investment and all you have to do is finish in 6th place...

this was based on 12 players in the PUSU contest.. if more than 12 players would enter i would leave it the same except add the extra entry fees to the 1st and 2nd place winners...

the whole concept of this payout formation is to give an incentive to keep winning and get a better payout when you know your not going to finish in the top 3...

and the last place player gets a bigger piece of the pie than the bottom few.. its hard to finish dead last..

now if you quit playing then you are eliminated all together.. so this way it keeps you to want to keep playing till the end...

total pot based on 12 players

take out 50 for forum

payout total 550

payouts 13 players

1st 200
2nd 100
3rd 60

4th 35
5th 30
6th 25
7th 20
8th 15
9th 13
10th 11
11th 10
12th 6

last 15 (not easy to finish last)

Last edited by johnny on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
n8hundo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: suggestion for future contest payouts. give your thoughts

Top 5 maybe...but if it aint broke don't fix it..just typing
johnny
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: suggestion for future contest payouts. give your thoughts

n8hundo wrote:
Top 5 maybe...but if it aint broke don't fix it..just typing

i hear ya, but this might be a way to get more players and it could be for other contests, not for the pusu contest... ... to me it just gives a better incentive to want to play...

to me it is broke... in the old days we had twice as many players...

weezerfenix

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: suggestion for future contest payouts. give your thoughts

This would keep me playing the whole season it makes it more competitve than just the top 5 people the last few weeks
UnstoppableForce
VIP Member
VIP Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: suggestion for future contest payouts. give your thoughts

I wouldn't enter if that was the case.. I play looking forward to a bigger prize (even if its worse odds to win with more players) I rather lose my $25 or $50... I wouldn't play if I was buying in for $25 playing for a $150 or $200 top prize to have to beat out 11 other players... No point in getting $4, $5 back for me...

Just keep it to top 2 or top 3 depending on how many enter and either pay out by % of difference in the finish of Units (like we are doing in bowl contest) or just have a set % payout for 1st/2nd or 1st/2nd/3rd places.
casey.erickson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: suggestion for future contest payouts. give your thoughts

I believe its broken as well, I'm with Johnny and Weezer
sdtnvols42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: suggestion for future contest payouts. give your thoughts

I like the idea Johnny. Might as well try something new for the new year. Hell we could try if for March Madness or College BB and see if we work out the kinks before MLB. And I like the idea of taking out the Forum Fund on Contest thats cool with me

halvey18
VIP Member
VIP Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: suggestion for future contest payouts. give your thoughts

i like top heavy more and i dont mind paying out top 5 or so but not a fan of paying out every spot...
Ronnielee
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: suggestion for future contest payouts. give your thought

UForce
Quote::
I wouldn't enter if that was the case... I rather lose my $25 or $50... I wouldn't play

That's the spirit, Junior!

If you're not being tracked in a contest at the Edge, your opinion is WORTHLESS!!

Last edited by Ronnielee on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:40 am; edited 1 time in total
johnny
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: suggestion for future contest payouts. give your thoughts

if we had 20 players it would be top heavy... like i said.. this was based on 12 players.. if there were 20 players the additional 400 would go to the top 2 ..

to me winning the entire contest is more for braggin rights...

but lets take itsme for example.. he doesnt get in some because he knows he is not going to win as i think others feel same way.. me included.. i have never won nor to i ever intend to.. but i would be nice to be in a contest when finishing 6th compared to 9th has a bigger payout for 6th.. every week would make a difference..

for example the pusu this year.. 1st and 2nd is locked up.. why would anyone even play if you were 3rd or lower?

and again,,, i feel more people like me who never expects to win would play.. i know a lot of people that feel the way it is now is just throwing money away completely and dont get in...

it was just a thought and i figured i would throw it out there...

ps.. i didnt think that some folks would like the idea at all anyways...

Last edited by johnny on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Ronnielee
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: suggestion for future contest payouts. give your thought

Yes, but you probably thought that dissenting points of view would be more mature, and not like a little girl.

If you're not being tracked in a contest at the Edge, your opinion is WORTHLESS!!
JJMANIAC
VIP Member
VIP Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: suggestion for future contest payouts. give your thoughts

Johnny I think it sounds like a very interesting idea...& worth a shot to try on an upcoming contest....hell why not its all for fun anyway...

Ronnielee( LMAO TAKE MY BALL AND GO HOME LOL)
Firegreen
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: suggestion for future contest payouts. give your thoughts

I don't mind adding payouts, but I'm not a fan of paying out the whole contest...just my opinion

Also, say we take a contest with a lower entry-fee.. we gonna pay the winner $100 with a $25 entry fee? After 3 months of playing? I tend to agree with Junior. Whats the point? I'll play regardless, but prefer bigger top prizes.

Or else, we could just run the contests for fun without entry fees. Thats how they were to start and had more people than now.

Personally, I don't think our problem is the payout structure, its a lack of forum members. Bottom line is we lost some regulars and we have pretty much no way of attracting new members. I think the loyal few we have left play almost every contest whether they expect to win or not, and will play (or not) any way you do the payouts.

Like I said, I'm down for whatever the majority prefer.
johnny
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: suggestion for future contest payouts. give your thoughts

it was just a thought on my part... no big deal... just looking to mix it up.. but as i can see most people on this planet dont like change .. i must be different.. i like to try different things.. always have always will... but like i said no biggy....

Big Lou
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: suggestion for future contest payouts. give your thoughts

i like the idea....but not having the part where you payout 12 spots?

maybe a Top 5? or 6?

paying out the entire field is pointless IMO...
johnny
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: suggestion for future contest payouts. give your thoughts

Big Lou wrote:
i like the idea....but not having the part where you payout 12 spots?

maybe a Top 5? or 6?

paying out the entire field is pointless IMO...

i hear ya lou. but to say its pointless is like saying golfers should just quit golf tournaments if they are down 10 or so stokes. but since they have payouts all the way down the line it gives them something to play for

Ronnielee
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: suggestion for future contest payouts. give your thought

I should qualify my statement by saying that I'll be playing no matter what the rules are or how many people play.

I'm up for trying anything. If it's new, you've gotta try it out before you can determine if it's "new and improved." Let's keep in mind that this example is using an entry fee that is twice our normal rate, making the payouts half the amount shown. On the other hand, if we can get twice the number of players, and therefore have the same pot as the example, roughly the top half will get something and the bottom half nothing.

It seems that the general concensus is that we should pay out more people but not pay everyone.

But, again, I'm up for trying anything!

Ronnielee
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: suggestion for future contest payouts. give your thought

I think the only fly in the ointment here is that there are not enough players. If we had 30 players, there would be enough dollars for some payout down the line while still having a decent pot for the top winners.

johnny
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: suggestion for future contest payouts. give your thought

Ronnielee wrote:
I think the only fly in the ointment here is that there are not enough players. If we had 30 players, there would be enough dollars for some payout down the line while still having a decent pot for the top winners.

agreed 100%... thats what i was saying...

johnny
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: suggestion for future contest payouts. give your thought

Ronnielee wrote:
I should qualify my statement by saying that I'll be playing no matter what the rules are or how many people play.

I'm up for trying anything. If it's new, you've gotta try it out before you can determine if it's "new and improved." Let's keep in mind that this example is using an entry fee that is twice our normal rate, making the payouts half the amount shown. On the other hand, if we can get twice the number of players, and therefore have the same pot as the example, roughly the top half will get something and the bottom half nothing.

It seems that the general concensus is that we should pay out more people but not pay everyone.

But, again, I'm up for trying anything!

i didnt mean to make it look like we were doubling the entry fee.. i just used the PUSU fee of $50 bucks that it has been...

catfish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: suggestion for future contest payouts. give your thoughts

I think paying out to the top 3 or 4 in a contest would be the way to go. fire stated a reason why i stopped playing the contests. I noticed that the numbers were dwindling and the total pot was not worth the time and effort for what the contest paid out. I never won a contest outright but I did win by finishing in the top three.

The golfing payout scenario is a forward thinking idea that would work if you could dramatically increase the number of players. My suggestion would be to do it like they do it in golf and the racing circuit. Pay out to the top 3 or 4 but hold a small percentage of each contest entry fee. Assign points for each contest according to order of finish for all individual players. Run the point totals thorughout the year for all contests and at the end of the year, you have a payout using the percentage held out for each contest. This would encourage all involved to keep playing. The point total winner for the year would not neccessarily be the winner of the contests but how you finished each contest throughout the year. A player could win a couple of contests and still not finish number 1 in the overall point standings. A player that never won but finished int the top 2-4 places in a few of the contests could be the overall winner thereby winning the money held out for each contest. Hope this makes sense. Just shooting the shit....................
johnny
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: suggestion for future contest payouts. give your thoughts

catfish wrote:
I think paying out to the top 3 or 4 in a contest would be the way to go. fire stated a reason why i stopped playing the contests. I noticed that the numbers were dwindling and the total pot was not worth the time and effort for what the contest paid out. I never won a contest outright but I did win by finishing in the top three.

The golfing payout scenario is a forward thinking idea that would work if you could dramatically increase the number of players. My suggestion would be to do it like they do it in golf and the racing circuit. Pay out to the top 3 or 4 but hold a small percentage of each contest entry fee. Assign points for each contest according to order of finish for all individual players. Run the point totals thorughout the year for all contests and at the end of the year, you have a payout using the percentage held out for each contest. This would encourage all involved to keep playing. The point total winner for the year would not neccessarily be the winner of the contests but how you finished each contest throughout the year. A player could win a couple of contests and still not finish number 1 in the overall point standings. A player that never won but finished int the top 2-4 places in a few of the contests could be the overall winner thereby winning the money held out for each contest. Hope this makes sense. Just shooting the shit....................

I LOVE THIS IDEA...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index > SPORTS SHIT All times are America/Los_Angeles
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: