11: Home
12: All Forums
13: Your Account
14: Home
15: All Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content preview
Each user can view the site with a different theme.
Themes marked with a * also change the forum look.

All Forums > WHATS ON YOUR MIND > SPORTS SHIT > Super Bowl pool organizer missing with betting cash
Super Bowl pool organizer missing with betting cash
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index > SPORTS SHIT
bagz
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Super Bowl pool organizer missing with betting cash

A retired janitor who collected up to $25,000 running Super Bowl betting pools on Staten Island this year has vanished — and cops think he may have taken off with the dough, sources told The Post on Tuesday.

John Kambakakis, 63, was last seen in Brooklyn five days before the big game — and one of his final stops was at Staten Island University Hospital, where he used to work, to pick up some last-minute bets.

“The guy has a gambling problem and could possibly have hit the road with the Super Bowl money,” a law-enforcement source said.

Another source said that NYPD detectives aren’t interested in the case because “there is no indication of foul play.’’

Kambakakis’ daughter Maria, 33, said the family didn’t notify cops that the widower was missing until 24 hours later because they thought he might be at one of his favorite hangouts — Atlantic City — or with a girlfriend.

While saying she could “never imagine’’ her dad running off, another daughter, Kristina, 28, added that she was worried the pools were taking a toll on him.

He ran multiple traditional “box’’ pools every year, offering spaces from $10 to $50, and some entrants wouldn’t pay him, Maria said.

“Usually, he would have to buy the remaining ones that didn’t get filled, and people would not pay or they would pay last-minute,” Maria said.

“I saw it was kind of stressing him out a little bit,” she said.

Friends said they were concerned something bad happened to Kambakakis because he was known to carry a lot of money.

“He is a crazy, charismatic Greek guy who was known to always carry $10,000 on him — that was the rumor,’’ a pal said.

Last Wednesday, in addition to stopping by the hospital, Kambakakis picked up his usual morning coffee at a local 7-Eleven and visited a Bay Ridge diner owned by a friend.

“Nothing was out of the ordinary,” Maria said.

Rumors swirled that he might have skipped the country and headed to his homeland, Greece.

“I could never imagine that. He knows it would kill us,” Kristina said.

The daughters started a Facebook group to track any leads about their dad.

Over the weekend, they canvassed an area where his cellphone pinged near Bloomingdale Road, far from his home and the hospital.

“It’s a nightmare we’re living right now,” Maria said. “I never thought we would be looking for my father in the woods.”

bagz
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Bowl pool organizer missing with betting cash

Missing Super Bowl gambler located by authorities

A retired Staten Island janitor who vanished after collecting up to $25,000 running local Super Bowl pools was traced to Florida over the weekend — thanks to his love of 7-Eleven.

John Kambakakis, 63, disappeared for 10 days on Jan. 28 after he went to a 7-Eleven on Hylan Boulevard in Staten Island. Then, an NYPD detective noticed Kambakakis had been using his debit card to make purchases at a 7-Eleven in Daytona, Fla., police said.

Store workers confirmed the missing man was their customer, and his family identified him through shop surveillance video, police said.

Ronnielee
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Super Bowl pool organizer missing with betting cash

STUPID FUCKING MORON!

If you're not being tracked in a contest at the Edge, your opinion is WORTHLESS!!
Ronnielee
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Super Bowl pool organizer missing with betting cash

If you're not being tracked in a contest at the Edge, your opinion is WORTHLESS!!
bagz
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Bowl pool organizer missing with betting cash

Concern turns to resentment for players in Super Bowl pool after organizer is found in Fla.

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Concern over the disappearance of Staten Islander John Kambakakis, a familiar face in his Dongan Hills neighborhood, has turned to anger and resentment for many who once considered him a friend.

The stocky Greek grandfather, known locally for the annual Super Bowl box pool that law enforcement sources and participants say he ran, has not been seen or heard from by bettors since they say he collected their money in the days leading up to the Big Game.

Kambakakis' disappearance on Jan. 28, four days before the Super Bowl, galvanized dozens of residents to join a massive search effort launched by his two daughters, who spread word of their father's disappearance on Facebook and through the media.

"Dad, we love you, we want you to come home. We hope you're OK," his daughter, Kristina, told the Advance on Jan. 30 after reporting him missing. "We're asking everyone to please say a prayer."

Many feared the worst.

"When it first happened, we thought he was dead. We thought somebody killed him," a Dongan Hills deli owner said. "He had a lot of money, carried a lot of money."

Concerned for his longtime customer's safety, the shop owner taped a "Missing" flier to his deli counter the day he learned Kambakakis had disappeared.

"The first thing we did was put a missing sign up because we're friendly with the guy," said a deli employee, who has bet with Kambakakis for the past four years. "We thought he was actually gone. People are saying, 'Oh poor guy,' stuff like that."

The initial expressions of sympathy turned to declarations of disgust 10 days later, when Kambakakis was spotted 1,000 miles away at a 7-Eleven store in Daytona Beach, Fla.

Police closed the book on the 63-year-old Staten Islander's case after he was found in Florida -- without any complaints filed against him by bettors, there was nothing criminal for authorities to pursue -- but the gamblers who paid into his pool aren't letting him off the hook, even if they haven't formally reported their grievances to police.

Upon learning that their former customer had resurfaced in the Sunshine State, the "Missing" sign at the deli was altered to read "Thief," with the addendum that he took $25,000 "from his friends."

"People see [the sign] now and they're like, 'What an [expletive]," a deli employee and pool participant said. "The guy took everybody's money and left."

Multiple pool participants estimated that the money Kambakakis allegedly collected for this year's contest totaled at least $25,000.

They say he ran multiple boxes with varying buy-ins and had been doing so for close to two decades without controversy.

"He had a $10 pool, two $20 pools, two $50 pools and a $100 pool," a participant who dropped $1,000 on this year's contest said. "It's $25,000 [at stake]."

Every year, in the weeks leading up to the Super Bowl, bettors say Kambakakis would walk the neighborhood, popping into businesses to chat and promote his endeavor.

"Everybody knew, everybody knew," the deli owner said of the Super Bowl pool. "Everyone. Pretty much every person that worked [at Staten Island University Hospital, where Kambakakis worked for years as a janitor] knew that."

"We always trusted him," said the deli owner, who did not personally pay into this year's Super Bowl pool, but confirmed that his father, brother, son and store customers had bought boxes. "I never thought that he would do that to anybody."

The $25,000 that Kambakakis is believed to have collected before disappearing in late January may actually be an underestimate, according to multiple bettors, who suspect he re-sold some boxes this year.

One participant recounted what he considered odd.

Fred Ariemma said he had requested box No. 21, which was already taken. "He erased a guy's number and said 'I'll tell him I'll give him a different number.' He erased it for my number."

Another echoed those feelings.

"It was a little sketchy," a deli employee said of the Super Bowl pool. "Like the $100 boxes -- the sheet was ripped right down the middle...I was like, 'John, you can't even read this paper, you can't read the names.' He goes, 'Oh, don't worry about it. I'm going to fix it up.' So I didn't think anything of it, I just paid him. That's it."

The worker said Kambakakis left the deli with $3,500 in cash the day before he went missing, which wasn't uncommon -- "always had a ton of money...he couldn't even close his wallet."

That was the last any of the pool participants heard from him.

It's unknown whether even Kambakakis' family has been in contact with him since he resurfaced on Feb. 7 because his daughters, Kristina and Maria, stopped communicating with the Advance after he was found.

"One day when I have time I'm going to have to take a vacation to Daytona Beach and go look for him," Ariemma chuckled.

He doesn't see the point in reporting any of this to police.

"It's a waste of time, I think. Talking to the cops," Ariemma said. "What, are they going to go down there? They got better things to do than looking for that guy."

UnstoppableForce
VIP Member
VIP Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Super Bowl pool organizer missing with betting cash

ERRRR used his debit card at 7-Eleven..what a dumb ass
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index > SPORTS SHIT All times are America/Los_Angeles
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: